DIAA State branches offer a number of travel and professional development scholarships throughout the year. Information will be posted on this page as it becomes available.
$10,000 Adrian Turton Memorial Scholarship
The $10,000 Adrian Turton Memorial Scholarship aims to help DIAA members further their professional development. The scholarship supports the cost of travel and/or study for one DIAA member each year. This may include short-term or full-time study courses. The proposed course of study must be relevant to and return a benefit for the Australian dairy industry.
Applications close on 30 September each year, for travel in the following year.
Who can apply
The scholarship is available to all financial members of the Dairy Industry Association of Australia.
How to apply
To apply for the scholarship, please write a letter of application that addresses the following criteria:
- Proposed travel and/or study itinerary (events, places and people you intend to visit and/or training study course you intend to undertake using scholarship funds)
- Benefit and relevance of the travel and/or course of study to your career development
- Benefit of the travel/course of study to the Australian dairy food manufacturing industry at large
- Proposal for reporting or communicating information/knowledge gained from the scholarship to the wider dairy industry
- Your CV and full contact details
Your application will not be considered without written permission from your employer, where relevant, to undertake the professional development proposed in the letter of application, as well as their full permission to report on the travel and/or studies funded by the scholarship to the wider Australian dairy industry.
The scholarship winner is chosen by the DIAA Scholarship Selection Panel. At the discretion of the Selection Panel, if the criteria or requirements are not fully met by any applicants in a given year, the DIAA may withhold the scholarship until the following year.
The scholarship winner must submit a fully costed project budget prior to undertaking their proposed travels and/or course of study.
Upon the completion of their proposed travel and/or course of study, the scholarship winner will be required to complete the following requirements prior to their travel/study expenses being reimbursed:
- Communicate their travel and/or study outcomes to the wider dairy processing industry at the discretion of the DIAA, including but not limited to a report for Australian Dairy Foods magazine, social media and presentations at DIAA events (for example, DIAA State conference or regional meeting in the applicant's home State, as well as the DIAA Victorian State Conference. The applicant must be available to travel further afield for presentations at the discretion and expense of the DIAA.)
- Complete all communication requirements regarding the outcome of the study in a timely manner as specified by the DIAA
- Submit all receipts verifying expenditure to the DIAA
- The scholarship winner must remain a financial DIAA member during their scholarship-funded travels and for at least one year afterwards
Past scholarship winners have come from all sectors of the industry and used their scholarship funds to research topics ranging from processing technology, product innovation and dairy science.
|2018||Jennifer Kaldy, Bulla Dairy Foods||Penn State Ice Cream Short Course,
ice-cream benchmarking and the Vermont Cheese Trail
|2017||Norman Repacholi, Dairy Australia||Dairy farmer and processor relationship best practice|
|2016||Jolanta Ganczarczyk, SA Dairy Authority||Raw milk: consumer choice or pathogen cocktail?|
|2013||Paul Wilson, Nimbin Valley Dairy||The art and science of affinage|
|2012||Dave Tarlinton, Norco||Ice-cream trends and innovation from the US|
|2011||Justine McCarthy, Lion Dairy & Drinks||Hands-on cheesemaking in France|
|2010||Gina Dal Santo, TAFE SA||Cheese judging and Italian cheese|
About Adrian Turton
The late Adrian Turton was a prominent member of the DIAA and its predecessor organisations in Western Australia. He was a strong advocate of young people increasing their technical skills and knowledge. Read more about Adrian Turton
DIAA Victoria - IDF World Dairy Summit Scholarship
Each year, DIAA Victoria offers a travelling scholarship to attend the International Dairy Federation World Dairy Summit, which is held in various locations around the world in October.
The scholarship includes:
- Six nights accommodation in an IDF-recommended hotel
- Return economy airfares
- Full registration to the IDF World Dairy Summit
- Airport transfers and meals (receipts required)
- Participation in IDF-organised farm or factory tours
Following the summit, the scholarship recipient must provide a written report for Australian Dairy Foods magazine, as well as present at the DIAA Victoria conference.
Detailed information about the scholarship is available in July each year.