Supports agriculture, food and beverage businesses to invest in expansion or relocation of their manufacturing operations in WA.
To date, $17.56 million has been committed by the State Government grants over three grant rounds supporting 66 value-adding food and beverage businesses with high-growth potential to invest in new projects or expansion opportunities to build competitiveness and grow business opportunities in Western Australia. This has unlocked $152 million in private sector investment and created an estimated 909 new jobs.
As part of the State’s broader economic development and recovery post-pandemic, VAIG Round Two aims to strengthen and diversify the WA economy by supporting investments in new manufacturing capability which result in reducing WA’s reliance on imported products, supports business growth, fosters innovation and creates jobs.
The Program aims to support agriculture, food and beverage businesses to expand, diversify or relocate their value-add processing operations in Western Australia. This can include:
– Investments in new manufacturing capability or processing facilities, new technology or plant modernisation which results in reducing WA’s reliance on imported products, supports business growth, fosters innovation and creates jobs;
– Investments that improve sustainability, reduce the environmental impact of the manufacturing or processing activities being undertaken or contributes to improvements in broader environmental, social, and governance outcomes;
– Investments that enable expansion or diversification of business operations that relate to value adding to primary production in WA; or
– Businesses looking to relocate operations to, or expand existing operations in, WA.
Round Two has up to $7 million in funding available. Businesses can access support through two different funding streams:
1. Feasibility stream
– The Feasibility stream provides the opportunity for eligible businesses to receive funding for planning, feasibility and other de-risking activities which a business plans to use to support an investment decision for qualifying capital expenditure and expansion projects relating to food and beverage manufacturing or other forms of value add processing. Projects must align to the stated objectives of the VAIG and can be submitted until 30th June 2024. Funding is available until 30th June 2024 with up to $0.5 million available each year across FY23 and FY24 for individual grants of $30,000 to $200,000. Recipients must provide at least $1 of cash co-contribution for every $1 of funding (1:1) received.
2. Capital Investment stream (not open this round)
– This stream will provide funds to eligible applicants for capital investment projects to expand, diversify or relocate their value adding and processing operations in WA. Projects must align to the stated objectives of the VAIG and be anticipated to be in the implementation and/or capital expenditure phase of the investment no earlier than January 2023.
– Be a private sector business (including incorporated trustees), public companies, grower cooperatives, or similar organisations that have an ABN, and are registered for GST
– The project must be located in, or looking to relocate to, WA including the Perth-metropolitan area
– Have been in operation for a minimum of two years (or similar established track record).